Sunday 1 September 2013

THE LAND OF SHEEP AND COWS


The view from the courtyard of the castle
My first blog from Atlantic College. It's been a week (today it's actually 2 weeks... whoops!) but it's the first time I am using the internet on my own laptop which means its the first time I can write a blog. I tried to do so on the campus computers but the problem is that somehow I can never start writing the blog, only the title.


Principal's house that is located a little from Powys
Finally though, with my own computer I can blog, so here goes! I have been here for a week and it's been so awesome. I'm in a house called Powys, which before arriving I thought was pronounced Pow-ies. Turns out its actually Pow-is which is probably more appropriate because its the name of some ancient Welsh Kingdom. Then again, they always say laughter is the best cure, so maybe that was the kingdom's tactic. Give the enemies something to laugh about and prevent attacks... Physical ones at least! Verbal attacks would have been rampant. 

When we arrived, our first 'job' was to say the name of our houses, in order to prevent having to make a speech. I have no idea whether that was an empty threat to just scare first years or an actual punishment because everybody for some strange reason made sure they could really say their house names properly. Honestly, I have nothing to complain about. 

There are 7 houses here, and I can hardly complain about having a name that's hard to pronounce. There are the really easy ones like Tice, Sunley, and Whitaker. Then the intermediate ones, Powys and Pentti-Kouri. And finally the ones that don't even sound like how they are spelt, that is if you are following the standard English phonetics. First up, Gwynedd, which is said Gwenyth... and then finally... Morgannwg and this one is said totally different... It's pronounced organic but with a m in front, Morganic.

Of course, Powys is the best! But the other houses are pretty cool too. Each house has a dayroom which is a hangout area unique to each house. In Powys we have a foosball table and a decent speaker system which is suitable for most iPods.

POWYS DAYROOOMMM
In Powys we have 2 floors in the house. Boys on the first floor and girls on the second floor. Each dorm allows for four people. My three other dorm mates are Mex (Menekse) from Turkey/ Wales, Yeabsira from Ethiopia and Maria from Costa Rica. All of them are really awesome people and we are getting on really well. Unlike other dorms, we don't have any dorm rules except to always try and be as considerate as possible. 


I have actually written many draft entries in my little Shakespeare books, but I admit, I have been really un-diligent about posting. Please forgive me and I will post them asap! You might get them all at one shot... But better than nothing(;


Going to lie in the sun sunshine in the field now... TATA!

"The hills are alive with the sound of music,with the sounds they have sung for a thousand years." - The Hills are Alive, The Sound of Music
·      





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.