Wednesday 4 September 2013

FIRST DAY... OF CODESSS!!!

A shot of the castle through the archway

Today (30th August, 2013) was a special day for all students. For some it was ‘good’ special, others ‘bad’ special. Today was the start of the official academic curriculum, also known as the official start of codes (AC lingo for classes). I woke up this morning albeit rather reluctantly, lured solely out of a warm bed by the promise of a concoction of sugar puffs, cornflakes and milk. This hesitance felt by me was not so much the prospect of the start of the academic side of Atlantic College, but rather just due to sheer exhaustion suffered from the time I have spent at Atlantic College.

Relaxing on the field... We don't get many of these sort of moments sadly ):

It’s been a tiring week and five days, yet I would not have wanted to pass that time any other way. It really is my fault that I now feel like I might fall flat on my face at my houseparent’s barbecue tonight – all late night activities I undertook have been a conscious, personal choice on my part. From the three day camp we had, to house games, to ‘showerings’ (a special something for student’s on their birthdays), to hanging out in the dayroom, shower parties or just very, very, very late night girl chat with my dorm mates, there are just so many interesting things to do that sleep was no where on my priority list; until now. I have just completed my whole day of curriculum and I am knackered. This is even after spending my free code (slot with no lesson) sleeping. 

Morning view of the walk from the main driveway 

However, more sleep will have to wait. Tonight, I have a house barbecue and the first ‘sosh’ (quoting a teacher; it’s the school’s disco), which means a long night and one spent spending a copious amount of energy. Though it is definitely not the remedy for tiredness, weekends are! So I plan to sleep in tomorrow and wake up just in time to have lunch in the nearby town, Llantwit Major, and do some basic grocery shopping. But back to the importance of today, it’s a Friday today and we all started the official curriculum.Friday’s are the longest days for everyone. Codes, which normally end just before lunch, can last till 15.45 on Fridays. On Fridays I also have classes for every single subject I take for the IB, including my double code (2 blocks of lessons at a time) for English Literature, which is (thank goodness) probably my favourite subject. For the IB course I have opted to take English Literature, European History and Economics at Higher Level and Math, Physics and Mandarin at Standard Level. I am really quite keen on attending on all my classes because I had the freedom to choose what I wanted to study, which meant I obviously chose subjects I liked. I come from a slightly more rigid education system back in Singapore, and am keen to see how I do (hopefully I cope) in a very different system of learning.

View of the trees from the Math Department
View from the side of languages block
Students milling around before classes



The IB makes up half of the Atlantic Diploma, the other half, in my opinion is the more interesting half. That is the service work aspect of the college. At Atlantic College, a great emphasis is placed on doing activities that benefit the community and go in tangent with the UWC Mission: The UWC movement makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future. This mission is kept relevant by the four faculties at Atlantic College, namely, the Global, Outdoor, Social Justice and Environmental Faculties. In fact, I was more worried about getting into the faculty of my choice (GO GLOBAL!!!) than getting my subjects!  

Side of the castle. The entrance to the right is where the laundry room is.

I am now pleased to be able to tell you that I have gotten both into the Global Faculty and the activity within it of my choice, the grassroots program which entails conducting theatre classes at a centre for adolescents in need of help in Cardiff. Monday marks the start of my first service training for the Global Faculty and I cannot wait to get started!  

Entrance to the Arts Centre where I have faculty training sessions
 
They say that life is filled with ups and downs, and I know my time at Atlantic College will have its fair share of good and bad times, but for now, the horizon looks bright and clear (figuratively, we have had rather typical wet ‘Welsh’ weather today). And if that’s the case, I am personally not going to let it go to waste.  

What it looks like on most days... Don't go SUNSHINE!!!

"Oh I feel overjoyed When you listen to my words" - Overjoyed, Bastille. Thank you to everyone who reads my blog (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.