Tuesday 3 September 2013

Cool Cardiff.

Sometime last week, I was able to take a day trip (an afternoon trip, really...) to the lovely city of Cardiff. It was the first time I had left the campus since I had come back and I was really looking forward to seeing what the closest major city to me (Cardiff is after all, the capital of Wales) had to offer. Since it was most of the first years in Powys, first time there, we were taken by two of our second years. The girls were taken by Harshnee and the boys by Ricky. 

Having the foresight of a girl, Harshnee booked a cab to take us into Llantwit for a pound each. Though Llantwit was a nearby town, walking by foot would still take at least thirty minutes, or else, you could take the bus, though that doesn't come very frequently. So while the boys tried to figure out how they were going to get to Cardiff (they eventually got the same cab to come back for them again) we girls set off for the train station in Llantwit. 



One of the roads that lead to Llantwit Major

Like the bus service, the train only comes every hour, so having included some buffer time for the bus ride (better to be safe than sorry) we spent some time waiting for the train to arrive. Not long after, we were joined by the boys who had managed to get there in time to take the same train. It didn't take long for the train to arrive, or at least it didn't seems that way. Before I knew it, I was on the train enjoying the Welsh countryside.


Not the best photo of the Welsh Countryside... It was raining

When we got into Cardiff we headed for the Red Hot World Buffet in Cardiff, and boy does it have a good deal. You basically pay ten pounds for what you get; a world buffet. It was pretty awesome and that was the most I had eaten since arriving in England. I had three rounds of food and dessert, after which I was duly stuffed. 


POWYS GIRL POWERRR (Yuko, Yeabsira, Mex and Maria)

It was after lunch that we really split up into boys and girls. The girls did a further split. There were eight girls who had gone into Cardiff. Mex my roommate, having lived in Wales for all her life was pretty familiar with the place and acted as tour guide for five of us. However, her services were not really needed, considering we ended up spending most of our time in Boots, a pharmacy, and then in Marks and Spencers! Other than that, we just did more shopping before it was time to meet up. What can I say, we are GIRLS! 


The street outside WHSmith

I felt really satisfied having managed to get many items on discount! I now qualify for a Boots membership card and am going to get one first thing the next time I am in a Boots store! That was not the only highlight of our trip, we ran into (actually they approached us) some massively famous people, 1D. Okay fine, maybe they were just regular guys with 1D masks but it was still pretty entertaining! Plus they sang to us, so they might as well have been the boys themselves! It was also a great trick to pull on my friends; telling them we had met 1D. Their reactions were HILARIOUS! (;

Me and the boys from 1D (OMG)
All in all, I enjoyed Cardiff, though I am in no position to comment on anything but the few shops I went to. I hope to continue exploring Cardiff and to take more photos of what seems to be a very vibrant city; so you can bet there will be many more posts on it.

"We have al fresco dining in Cardiff now. Who's idea was that?! My soup's filling up quicker than I can eat it." - Rhod Gilbert (p.s. it's in reference to the wet Welsh weather which I have had the good fortune of not experiencing very frequently... yet)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.