Saturday 21 September 2013

Going Global

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned I was in the Global faculty. Since then, I have had 2 training sessions to equip me with the skills for helping others. For us in the Global Faculty, all of the first years have training together every Monday from 2.15 - 4.15 in the glass room of the St. Donat's Arts Centre. The last 2 courses have been held by an ex AC student.


In the Global faculty, we have many different activities we can take as our service sessions. There is Primary and Secondary schools, Worldview, Grassroots and Themed Team. I hope I haven't left out any of the activities! I am in the Grassroots session, where we go to a Grassroots centre (hence the name) in Cardiff and teach the members there. Sadly, due to some technical difficulties, we have had to change the program a bit, but I will save that for the next post! 

So far, I think that the training program has been beneficial. I must admit that it can be a tough paying close attention at the training sessions after a whole day of codes, but other than fighting against sleepy periods, it's been good so far! I've had training sessions with similar objectives in the past. Yet, they have always been about what to do or how to behave when doing so and so service. In our training, we have been focusing on getting rid of our own 'baggage' before moving on to help others get rid of theirs. It focuses a lot on the need to take care of ourselves and manage our own well-being. The AC student in charge of it shared how she suffered and was no use at all to the people around her, when she embarked on a service project without first making sure she was well enough both physically and mentally to pull it off.

So far we have done a lot of activities that make us reflect on our own lives; some about the present, some about the past and some for the future. We did one on writing a timeline on our lives so far and then continuing to aim for something for every 5 years till reaching the age of 50 years. It sounded deceivingly simple, but in reality, I realised I had no idea what I seriously wanted to achieve by the age of thirty onwards. Yet, I was sure to keep it real, with me suffering a midlife crisis at the age of 50, seems pretty likely to me. If anything, I might have one even earlier! 

Well, that's what we will be doing for the first term for one of our Global sessions, and I am sure that by the end of the training sessions, I'll have learnt more skills for doing service work, but more about myself as well! 

" Without deep reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people" - Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.