Sunday 1 September 2013

Decisions, decisions, decisions...


What I see when I stand in front of the field in Powys

What I see looking up the field from standing near the bottom of it... The house in the distance is Tice
So in the last few days a lot has happened. For now, many of my blogs have the wrong time, or rather have no regard for the concept of time. In the sense that I post them so much later after said events have occurred. In my last post I talked about my arrival at Atlantic College, house, dorm mates etc. This one is going to be about the first weekend at Atlantic College. In between much has happened - I went for first year camp, had some talks and house bonding sessions, but I am skipping that for now. I might do a short blog on camp, or I might not. My camp experience wasn't all that interesting because I fell ill and could not do all the aquatic activities, aka the more fun half of everything at camp. Also, I didn't even get any good pictures because we were told not to bring our cameras, phones, or any electronic devices... You know what, that was my short blog on camp. Hope you liked it!(:


On the way to the academics departments
Back to the focus of this blog, DECISIONS!!! After coming back from camp, you'd think we'd have a couple of days to recover from a three day camp. Alas, that is not the AC style of things. The day after arriving back on campus, we had to complete half of our academic and service inductions. In total, all first years went through nine different faculty inductions. Five academic department ones; Languages, Math, Science, Humanities and Arts, and another four service inductions; Global, Social Justice, Environmental and Outdoor. Sounds like a lot but those were pretty relaxed two days. We had breaks between everything and they didn't even include time for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So it actually was not tiring at all. 


The side of the Math Department

Then came Monday, judgment day. That was the day we had to make all our choices on what subjects and which service faculty we wanted to study/ be in. I decided to take Higher Level (HL): English Literature, Economics and European History and Standard Level (SL): Math, Physics and Mandarin. I had wanted to take Theatre as well, but they are pretty strict about only taking six subjects so sadly I couldn't take that. Oh well! Hopefully I get to do the grassroots initiative in the Global Faculty which is assisting theatre classes at a centre in Cardiff! 


Just outside the Top Lawn (it's the grassy bit you see through the arch)

Talking about theatre, I am now sitting just outside the 'Top Lawn', waiting to get into the area to watch 'The Taming of the Shrew'. It's being done by the company 'Shakespeare's Globe Theatre', and I am watching the same production that will be going to Singapore later in the year! If it's good, I'll do a post on it, but we'll have to see(: I am so happy and feel so lucky that I am getting to watch this! I think it's amazing that I can watch a production done by a well-known company on my school's lawn... I really can't wrap my head around it! Moreover, the tickets for students were so cheap! I only paid 10 pounds (I don't know which key makes the pound sign appear...). 

So I'll end here, you might find a blog on the play soon, we'll see!(:

Taken earlier in the day when they were setting up for the play

“Sit by my side, and let the world slip: we shall ne'er be younger.” - Taming of the Shrew, William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.